Apply to volunteer with us! Our work would not be possible without the help of our volunteers. Our programs serve more than 9,000 people a year. We help the community’s most vulnerable members with accessing the justice system and strengthening their personal, professional, and economic security.
Law firms looking for a pro bono avenue
We recognize that law firms have specific needs and goals for pro bono work. We work with each law firm to design a tailored pro bono program, including:
- Free continuing legal education (CLE training)
- A full spectrum of volunteer opportunities, from business law to federal civil litigation and from full-scope matters to single-day legal clinics
- Training and experience for newer associates
- Malpractice insurance (primary to your firm’s insurance)
- Ongoing mentoring
For more information or to request a presentation, please contact Jay Lee at email@example.com.
New attorneys looking for experience
- Extensive training programs designed for new attorneys
- Courtroom experience and client contact
- The chance to consult with more experienced attorneys as needed
If you are an experienced transactional attorney we suggest volunteering with our Community Organizations Representation Project. You might also want to consider volunteering to help negotiate settlements in our Housing Negotiation Project, or helping clients with uncontested guardianships in our Family Law Project.
Law firm attorneys can participate in limited scope immigration legal services, including asylum clinics and work permit clinics. Attorneys can also take on full-scope appellate immigration cases with ongoing mentoring.
Retired or non active attorneys
If you are recently retired or if you are taking a temporary break from the active practice of law, you can still do pro bono work through the California State Bar’s Pro Bono Practice Program (PBP).
JDC is a qualified legal services provider for purposes of the PBP. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.