Legal and Social Service Organizations Urge Judicial Council to Protect Survivors of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault
April 2, 2020, San Francisco—The Justice & Diversity Center (JDC) of the Bar Association of San Francisco joined 22 legal, social service and advocacy organizations in a letter to Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye to recommend actions to help protect survivors of domestic violence during the shelter-in-place emergency.
Read the letter in full, on behalf of the following organizations:
- Family Violence Law Center
- Safe Alternatives to Violent Environments
- Public Interest Law Project
- Women’s Daytime Drop-in Center, Bridget Transitional House
- Legal Aid of Sonoma County
- Tri-Valley Haven
- California Partnership to End Domestic Violence
- Cooperative Restraining Order Clinic
- Legal Assistance for Seniors
- Family Violence Appellate Project
- Human Options
- Legal Access Alameda
- Mujeres Unidas y Activas
- Building Futures
- A Safe Place
- La Raza Centro Legal – San Francisco
- Ruby’s Place
- The Justice and Diversity Center of the Bar Association of San Francisco
- DOVES of Big Bear Valley, Inc.
- Women’s Center – Youth and Family Services
- Laura’s House
- Legal Assistance to the Elderly
The Justice & Diversity Center (JDC) advances fairness and equality by providing pro bono legal services to low-income people and educational programs that foster diversity in the legal profession. JDC is the largest legal services providers in San Francisco. JDC’s programs serve approximately 9,500 disadvantaged San Franciscans a year, with the overarching goal of assisting the community’s most vulnerable members with accessing the judicial system and strengthening their personal, professional, and economic security.
The Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF) is a nonprofit voluntary membership organization of attorneys, law students, and legal professionals in the San Francisco Bay Area. Founded in 1872, BASF enjoys the support of more than 7,500 individuals, law firms, corporate legal departments, and law schools. BASF provides a collective voice for public advocacy, advances professional growth and education, and attempts to elevate the standards of integrity, honor, and respect in the practice of law.