Join a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving our community through programs that provide equal access to legal services. The Justice & Diversity Center of The Bar Association of San Francisco (JDC) has an exciting opportunity for a Staff Attorney, Attorney of the Day, Immigration Legal Defense Program to be part of the team!
The Bar Association of San Francisco is a nonprofit organization and the oldest voluntary bar association in California. Today, over 7,400 San Francisco lawyers are members of BASF, which prides itself as being one of the most active and innovative local bar associations. In addition to services and benefits to our members, BASF provides a variety of legal services to San Francisco residents including our Lawyer Referral and Information Service, Alternative Dispute Resolution, and the Justice & Diversity Center (including the Homeless Advocacy Project) which is the largest provider of legal services to San Franciscans.
About the Justice and Diversity Center of BASF:
JDC is a non-profit organization that provides free legal services through its staff and volunteers to low-income Bay Area residents. Each year more than 1,600 volunteer attorneys, legal assistants, and law students work with JDC staff to serve nearly 7,500 indigent clients. JDC’s holistic advocacy approach seeks to address the social service and legal needs of clients.
About the Job:
The Justice and Diversity Center of The Bar Association of San Francisco is the host of the Attorney of the Day Program, which provides consultations to unrepresented respondents on the day of their initial court hearings. We are excited to hire our first Staff Attorney, Attorney of the Day (AOD) who will consult with and provide limited scope representation to unrepresented individuals and families facing removal on the detained, non-detained and juvenile dockets at the San Francisco Immigration Court. The Staff Attorney, AOD will create protocols to provide unrepresented respondents more continuous and robust services. The Staff Attorney, AOD will also liaise with the court and attorney volunteers, and train attorney volunteers and participate in data collection and analysis.
The duties and responsibilities commensurate with the role of the Staff Attorney, AOD include, but are not limited to, any combination of the following tasks:
- Conduct consultations with unrepresented respondents and advocate for them on the non-detained adult and juvenile dockets and detained adult dockets at the San Francisco Immigration Court
- Oversee the intakes and referrals collected from the AOD Program, with a priority to conducting follow-up services for San Francisco and Santa Clara County residents.
- Assist in the training of and communication with volunteer AODs in the JDC AOD Program.
- Work closely with the AOD Attorney Coordinator and JDC’s partners to design strategies and materials to protect the interests of indigent and/or pro se respondents before the Immigration Court.
- Carry a small caseload of limited and full scope cases in removal proceedings.
Work closely with the ILDP Director and AOD Attorney Coordinator to design and analyze data collection from the AOD program to meet the SFILDC, SCC, CCIJ’s, and JDC’s needs.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Licensed attorney with a minimum of 1-year relevant legal experience
- Experience representing immigrants in removal proceedings
- Fluency in English and Spanish required
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and chaotic environment
Why Work For Us:
We offer a collaborative work environment, a progressive work culture, and wonderfully diverse staff. Additionally, we are a mission and values-based organization.
To find out more about JDC, please visit our website at www.sfbar.org/jdc
Starting salary is competitive with other nonprofits. JDC is strongly committed to diversity and encourages applications from people who can contribute to our diversity, including veterans and people with disabilities.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: BASFjobs@sfbar.org or Human Resources, The Bar Association of San Francisco, 301 Battery Street, Third Floor, San Francisco, CA 94111
Please reference “ Staff Attorney, Attorney of the Day (AOD)” in the subject heading. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.
No phone calls please. Due to the number of resumes we receive each day, we will not be able to respond individually with the status of your application.