You get to the firm on a Monday morning. Several important clients are waiting for your email response. But you can’t reach your keyboard because the files from last week are still scattered around your desk.
In honor of National Clean Off Your Desk Day on January 14th, here are a few things to consider when you tidy up your desk to get ready for business:
Why Clean Off?
- Information Security: Legal professionals deal with sensitive and confidential information every day. A safe organizing system will reduce the risk of file loss and data breach.
- Stress Relief: Survey research shows workers who have a heavy workload at a rapid-pace environment are more likely to feel emotionally exhausted by office clutter, which in turn delays their decision-making process. Having an orderly desk gives you room to work as well as the flexibility to access items like phone, calendar, and documents, which will improve productivity and reduce stress over time.
How To De-clutter?
- Clean Off: Start off by cleaning everything off your desk. Then, wipe down surfaces with disinfecting wipe to sanitize your workspace. Clean out unnecessary items from your desk and drawers to create a new storage place.
- Personalized Organizing System: Understand your personal needs. Are you left- or right-handed? What office supplies do you often use? Do you actually need two calculators? Assess and reorganize items on your workplace according to your work style.
- Filing System: Legal professionals have different and varied types of paperwork. Consider sorting them, not just by name and date, but also folder color, service type, or mixed methods that will match your needs. The forgotten paperclip and post-it note found in the drawer will be useful at this moment!
Once you’ve finished cleaning, try to tidy up your desk from every week. Not only will it relieve some of your work-related stress and increase your personal well-being, but a clean and tidy desk will also make you look more professional, committed, and prepared in your job. Happy Cleaning!