This fall, Destination Law School (DSL) conducted tours at four local colleges in the Bay Area: Cal State East Bay, College of Alameda, San Francisco State University and Mills College and touched the lives of close to fifty students. DSL is a program of the Justice & Diversity Center of the Bar Association of San Francisco that provides information and resources about law school and the legal profession to diverse undergraduate students in colleges located in the Bay Area. The purpose of the program is to increase the number of diverse graduates that are going into law school.
At each tour, panels of attorneys and law school admission counselors gave students heartfelt and practical advice on how they can both visualize themselves navigating this path as well as how to leverage their uniqueness to set themselves apart.
From the survey collected, 67% of the students that attended were first-generation college students. 25% of attending students were Latinx, 16% Asian America, 23% African American, 16% White and 20% identified as Other. JDC plans on having four more tours in the spring of 2019 at different schools.
Thanks again to all of the panelists listed below.
Cal State East Bay, Hayward Campus
- Victor Gonzalez, Jr, J.D. candidate at Golden Gate University School of Law
- Amarra Lee, San Mateo County Superior Court (and former JDC Scholarship program participant!)
- Bryan Hinkle, Santa Clara Admissions Dean
- Jerri Kay Phillips, Hanson Bridgett
- Nicole Britton-Snyder, Family Violence Law Center (and former JDC staff!)
College of Alameda
- Demetria Vong-Spillan, Bank of America
- Judge Haywood Gilliam, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- Jennifer Bentley, J.D. candidate at UC Hastings College of Law
- Ray Manzo, California Rural Legal Assistance, Inc.
San Francisco State
- Marvin Anderson, AT&T Legal
- Anthony Wu, WealthBoost Advisors
- Margaret Thompson, AT&T Legal
- Alice Young, Berkeley Law Admissions Department
- Graham Drake, Policy Consultant to Assemblymember Rob Bonta
- Natalia Lopez-Whitaker, Family Law Attorney and Mediator
- Shining J. Hsu, Attorney General for the State of California
- Alan P. Guerrero, Admissions & Financial Aid, University of San Francisco School of Law