Bilingual Attorney, Family Law Assisted Self-Help (FLASH)
Join an organization dedicated to improving our community through programs that provide equal access to legal services. The Justice & Diversity Center (JDC) of the Bar Association of San Francisco currently has an exciting opportunity for a Bilingual Attorney, to work at the San Francisco Superior Court for JDC’s Family Law Assisted Self-Help Project (FLASH).
About the Justice & Diversity Center:
JDC is a non-profit organization that provides free legal services through its staff and volunteers to low-income Bay Area residents. Each year more than 1,600 volunteer attorneys, legal assistants, and law students work with JDC staff to serve nearly 7,500 indigent clients. JDC’s holistic advocacy approach seeks to address the social service and legal needs of clients.
About the Job:
Family Law Assisted Self-Help (FLASH) is a JDC project housed at the San Francisco Unified Family Court. FLASH provides assistance to low-income parties representing themselves in divorce cases. FLASH meets with pro per litigants on a one-to-one basis and provides two workshops per month. We are seeking a family law attorney bilingual in English and Spanish to administer and staff that project, working in cooperation with (but separately from) the Court’s Self Help Center staff.
The Bilingual Attorney, FLASH’s responsibilities include: assisting low-income pro per litigants with filings related to all aspects and stages of divorce proceedings through judgment; attending the Court’s Family Centered Case Resolution and Status Conference calendars to assist self-represented litigants; conducting a bimonthly settlement conference workshop; and working independently to administer services, including data collection and coordination with the Court.
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Must be a licensed member of the California State Bar in good standing with at least three years of family law experience
- Experience with litigation in family law matters
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bilingual English/Spanish skills required
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to make quick decisions and handle a high volume of activity
- Self-starter who works well independently and in a team environment
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment and independently prioritize with high attention to detail
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low-income clients
- Communicates effectively with judges, clerks, volunteer attorneys, unrepresented litigants, co-workers, and people from low-income communities
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), Essential Forms, and DissoMaster helpful
Why Work For Us:
We offer a collaborative work environment, a progressive work culture, and a wonderfully diverse staff. Additionally, we have a standard 35-hour workweek, flexible scheduling (manager’s discretion), and we are a mission and values based organization.
We also offer competitive pay and a generous benefits package that includes: a choice of medical insurance plans, dental insurance, vision insurance, pretax commuter, health, and dependent care accounts, employer paid short- and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, the opportunity to contribute to a retirement account, and more!
Starting salary is competitive with other nonprofits. JDC is strongly committed to diversity and encourages applications from people who can contribute to our diversity.
We will begin reviewing candidates immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please submit your resume and cover letter to: Human Resources, JDC, 301 Battery Street, Third Floor, San Francisco, CA 9411, BASFjobs@sfbar.org (please reference Bilingual Attorney, FLASH in the subject heading.)
No phone calls please. Due to the number of resumes we receive each day, we will not be able to respond individually with the status of your application.