back to Screen-Friendly page

LRIS: Frequently Asked Questions

ReceDo you need a lawyer? Here are a few answers to questions that you may have.

LRIS Panel Attorney Secures Six-Figure Settlement for SRO Tenant


By Emmy Pasternak, Community Outreach and Case Development Coordinator, LRIS


After spending nine months in jail, a man found he was locked out of his single-room occupancy apartment and all of his possessions, including his dentures, had been sold or thrown away by the landlord. The landlord had terminated the tenancy and re-rented the room. The disabled, indigent client found himself free from jail but with no possessions and nowhere to go.

In September 2009, an LRIS Landlord-Tenant attorney agreed to represent this LRIS client and sue the landlord for wrongful eviction, property loss, lockout statutory damages, and emotional distress damages. Through diligent discovery and cooperation from the client, Vlasak found the landlord had violated the law and secured a six-figure settlement for the client.

If you are in need of a referral to a qualified, experienced attorney, please contact the Lawyer Referral and Information Service at (415) 989-1616 or visit our website at to submit a request online.  We are certified by the American Bar Association and the State Bar of California.  The Lawyer Referral and Information Service is The Trusted Source for Lawyer Referral.