Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
- BASF's Mediation Services provides professional mediators with extensive training and experience, who have successfully resolved hundreds of disputes. This traditional mediation service can be utilized by anyone and is NOT limited to SF residents or issues and may be used before a court action is filed or at any time during a court action.
- More than 300 attorneys serve as volunteer arbitrators and mediators for our Attorney/Client Fee Dispute Program, donating up to a full day of their time handling 100 cases a year.
- Experienced Bay Area litigators volunteer their time to assist with resolving Superior Court cases in the Early Settlement Program (ESP). Over the past 20 years, this unique program has settled thousands of cases and boasts a 78% settlement rate and a 97% satisfaction rate. ESP Panelists can provide confidential case evaluation and potential case value based on their personal experience.
- The Bar Association of San Francisco (BASF) is a nonprofit organization with a membership of over 7,000 legal professionals in the Bay Area.
- Founded in 1872 by pioneers and Civil War veterans, BASF is a leader in the formation and improvement of the legal system in the United States.
Lawyer Referral and Information Service (LRIS) for Marin and San Francisco Counties
- In 1946, BASF started LRIS, the oldest and largest public service program of the association, originally designed to help returning war veterans.
- LRIS receives more than 50,000 phone calls and emails a year and has a panel of over 500 members, with experience in virtually any type of legal problem an individual or small business owner might encounter.
- Attorneys on LRIS panels have been in practice for an average of more than 20 years.
- The Barristers Club was founded in 1927 to promote fellowship among the newer members of the legal profession.
- BASF members who have been in practice for less than ten years and law students are automatically added to the Barristers Club membership at no cost when they join BASF.
- The Barristers Club has its own Board of Directors that oversees 18 sections and five committees.
- JDC is San Francisco’s largest provider of free legal services.
- In 2013, more than 1,800 JDC volunteers and staff assisted nearly 8,000 clients with legal consultation and representation in nearly every area of civil law, providing legal services valued at just over $18 million dollars.
- JDC’s Homeless Advocacy Project (HAP) provides free legal and supporting social services to individuals and families who are homeless or at serious risk of becoming homeless in San Francisco. In 2013, HAP served nearly 2,000 clients.